Saturday, June 7, 2008

Letter to the male population of Saudi Arabia

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to you in regards to the treatment of women within your country (Yes, your country, because it sure as hell isn't ours). I know this will fall on deaf ears, but it has to be said. Somewhere. Even if it never reaches you, let it be known that this is unacceptable. By far, you should be ashamed of yourselves for letting it go on like this. You should be even more ashamed of yourselves for making US pay for everything.

Why do we have to cover up? Why do we not get to experience the simple freedoms that you take for granted? Protection of our virtue, you say? It's nice to know that you even have a committee that does that for us, in their Suburbans and with their short thobes and long beards, because God knows we can't do it ourselves. Oh, NO.

Here's an idea: how about YOU don't look? How about you work with us instead of against us all the time? How about you realize that the vast majority of the problem is men's complete and utter lack of control?

Why should i apologize for not accepting this subservient role that you have so kindly bestowed upon me?

Here, I'll apologize for a few things. I'm sorry. I'm sorry you're so closed-minded that you believe women don't belong working here. I'm sorry that you're so backwards you think this is all right. I'm sorry you need to have control over us at all times, or else your pathetic little egos will deflate. I'm sorry that I am not what you expect me to be, and that I never will be. I'm sorry that I feel this way, because I know others must feel it too.

Who are you to say that I belong in this position, and that I should do this, or not do that?

... And why is this bothering me so much?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The manner of which you speak towards how Saudi Arabia treats their women is a little too negative. Although I must admit that those men with the beards and thobes are also out of their element.

Since you are holding an opinion based on what you personify as facts, you obviously do not know the true facts that lie behind the religion of islam. The idea of a woman being covered does not cause a woman to pay. Forcing her to does. Yet, the mere fact that the hijab was brought into the islamic religion was to avoid the objectifying women seems to be a fact you are overlooking. The hijab in fact is meant to create a respect towards women. The images of the Virgin Mary portray her as a woman that wears a hijab.

Although women are not given as many freedoms as men in Saudi Arabia, they hold the honor and the power to maintain passing heritage and religion onto future generations.

It seems that the reason you are bothered is not the mere fact that women in Saudi Arabia are suppressed through force, but the perhaps the fact that you are criticizing something that you know not much about.

Throughout your life you will face many barriers that will stand in your way. Many people that will disagree with the actions that you take or the decisions you make. However, have you yourself studied in which what you were asked to believe? Have you taken the time to understand the details of which you were meant to learn? At this point you seem to be a lost sheep among the ravenous wolves ready to be devoured by opinions of others since you have no solid base.

All I ask is that you look within yourself to seek out the answers and find them by following your heart. By defining what you represent and what you stand for, you will never place yourself in such a situation. The pictures of you exposing your hip for the world to see merely cheapens you. Your value, sanctity, and self respect has been exposed for the world to see! If you feel that you have nor erred in doing so, then I'm afraid you will only find many obstacles in your way that you may never overcome.


Anonymous,
I treat you as a sister of islam. May god shed blessing and peace upon you.

N. said...

Thank you so much for bestowing your grace and wisdom upon me, O great Anonymous. Not many people would go so far out of their way to tell me how wrong I am.

I'm not saying anything about Islam at all. Anybody with half a brain could see that. I am very well aware of WHY the hijab exists, yet I have every right to object to being forced to wear it.

Furthermore, I wrote this out of frustration at the situation I am in at the moment, so yes, for me, these are the facts of what I'm dealing with, and I would appreciate not being judged as some know-nothing because of them.

But whatever, it's not like that matters now. God's peace and blessing to you too.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunatley, The idea of forcing the idea of covering up did come from Islam. The backward way of thinking in Saudi Arabia stems off of the corruption of Islam.

So reveal your flesh and tell them not to look. It is written in all holy books that The temtation of the flesh is amongst one of most powerful.

As for your situation and frustration towards people, you needent let the judgements of others offend you or bother you if you are confident in what you represent. The objects in which you are in control of are the only things you are capable of changing. Their opinions will never matter, so it should not bother you. Even these words I share with you are mere opinions and should not anger you or trigger your negative comments.

I apologise if my words seem harsh. Yet, I only wish to share truth with you.

Peace Be Upon You